Saturday, May 9, 2009

Best day ever - 4/16/09

A few days ago we had an amazing beach day. Right in front of the camp there was an normous snadbar that went out really far. We stayed out there all day. Vanessa came running out into the water towards us but before the snad bar there was a large dip in the floor. Just as Morgan and I yelled to her ¨watch out for the...¨Vanessa fell face forward in a complete state of shock and utter confusion. I´ve never laughed so hard. We´ve been working on building a new part of the hatchery because the nests are coming in so fast we are running out of room. This consists of digging a pit of about 3-4 feet deep and then refilling the pit with sand that is closer to the water because that sand has been cleaned by the sea water. It´s about zero amounts of fun carrying sandbags back and forth in the blazing sun, especially when your back in sun burnt. HOWEVER, we finished that today which is amazing because I seriously don´t think I could carry another sandbag if I tried. My sandfly bites have reached an all time awful point. I look like a I have the bubonic plague and new volunteers look at our legs in terror wondering, ¨will that happen to me?¨ Yes, yes it will. I´m so itchy I´ve been waking up my cabin mates with late night scratching fits. But I´m not the only one; pretty much everyone´s legs look vile and nothing heals because of the humidity, so I don´t feel like a complete weirdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment