Saturday, May 9, 2009

The guides need some guidance - 4/22/09

The rains have started and apparantly I have no reason to believe they will be ending soon. It adds an interesting dynamic to the walks, especially when the waves start crashing above my waist while walking with 100 turtle eggs. All you can do is laugh because it really is ridiculous. The other night a few of us girls went to the guide Culebra´s house for lunch. It was really good, especially considering the alternative was barf smelling/tasting soup at the camp. However, most of us are quite sure his alternative intentions were to spend more time with Kira, one of the volunteers, to whom he has confessed his undying love. Call me a skeptic, but I´m not sure it´s true love. I´m pretty sure Kira feels the same way. I had a similar problem with one of the guides named Hernan whose favorite activities include smoking marijuana and hitting on the female volunteers. This isn´t an observation; he will tell you himself. I had to tell him, during our second conversation, one day after we had met, that we were only going to be friends. He then mumbled something about me not knowing spanish, told me not to tell anyone about the conversation, and promptly left. I´m pretty sure he then told the entire island that I was a lesbian which is why I would not accept his advances; which, quite frankly, is fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment